As all readers of Nero Wolfe know, Montenegro is his birthplace, as well as that of his boyhood friend, Marko Vukčić.
Click here to read "lovinbabe's" documentation from the corpus of Marko's appearances and quotations.
Click here to read why Nero Wolfe is Montenegrin (and it's not because of Irene Adler's whereabouts that year).
The Wolfe Pack has had occasion to learn more about Montenegro: In 2006 Wolfe Pack members convened at Bona Fides Garden for a delicious traditional Montenegrin dinner prepared by the Montenegrin owners of the restaurant. The meal was served without any Albanian spies.
In 2007 Nebojsa Kaludjerovic, the US Ambassador for the newly recognized country of Montenegro spoke at the Black Orchid Assembly regarding one of Montenegro's national heros, Nero Wolfe.
Click here to listen to his talk and learn how to pronounce the Montenegrin locations!
In 2010 Gayle Lynds, award-winning author and "the Queen of Internation Espionage," prresented the keynote address at the Rex Stout Banquet at Bouchercon 2010. Read the keynote, “Nero Wolfe, the Spy,"
For lots more information about Montenegro, see:
- The Wikipedia article
- The Wolfe Pack's links page listing sites about Montenegro
- A linguistic discussion of the name Montenegro
- Maps (at the bottom of this page)
- And don't miss the pages for the two books in the corpus that deal most directly with Nero Wolfe's Montenegrin heritage:
- The Black Mountain (including Galichnick research links and a map showing it)
- Over My Dead Body