New York City Metro Area
202 W 49th Street, NYC
Separate checks / Order from the menu / Sorry, 3rd floor stairs only
- Separate Checks, no minimum, no RSVP required
- January (4th Monday of the Month due to M. L. King Birthday holiday)
- March (3rd Monday except when St. Patrick's Day is on a Monday)
- May (3rd Monday)
- September (3rd Monday) except when Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur occur at that time)
- December (Friday preceding the 1st Saturday of December, as part of the annual Black Orchid Weekend; the timing of the Banquet is the Saturday in December closest to Rex Stout's birthday, December 1.)
- In addition there may be a special summer book discussion in NYC. Check here in early May or June.
3 Town Place, Clarence, NY
Walk-ins welcome - no registration needed
[Please let them know if you need a copy of any of the books.]
Click here to view/print the schedule
For additional information, make contact with the Raceme Coordinators, Pam & Edward: WesternNYBkDisc@nerowolfe.org
Donnelly's Dockside Restaurant
(formerly The Deep Creek Restaurant)1050 Deep Creek Avenue, Arnold, MD 21012 (water-side setting)
START TIMES VARY BY DATE / SEE SCHEDULE BELOW or CLICK HERE
Register at the Library (860-243-9721) and let them know if you need a copy of the book.
Directions, further information e-mail Marilyn at email@example.com
(You must request to join the Facebook Group (no charge) in order to participate, so plan ahead.)
DISCUSSIONS ARE HELD THE FOURTH WEDNESDAY OF EACH MONTH (except on holidays or other events) AT 7:00 PM CENTRAL TIME
Washington, DC Metro, "The Golden Spiders" Raceme will be forming
Location & venue will be determined by geographic location of participants
and announced soon.
If you are interested in participating, please make contact with the werowance using the address below:
Chicago Metro Raceme will be forming
Location & venue will be determined by geographic location of participants
and announced soon. If you are interested in participating, please make contact with the werowance
General Book Discussion Guidelines
- Be sure to review the Book Discussion Guidelines prior to attending (or moderating) a discussion.
- The moderator will lead the conversation, which can range from a discussion of the ridiculous to the subtle. Bring your opinions, but with an open mind, and join us for interesting, and perhaps even heated, discussion.
- Click a title below, or any title on the Corpus Page/Alphabetical or Corpus Page/Chronological for further information regarding novel and novella reviews, quotations, any interesting background data, publication history, plus links to great cover art.
- Read Les Blatt's blog, Classic Mysteries: Of Dinner, Discussion and a Doxy, about the July, 2010, book discussion.
INTERESTED IN HELPING ORGANIZE A RACEME* IN YOUR AREA?
Click here for more information.
The kind with Wolfe on the Pistil?
Click here for some cool ideas for getting started with a local chapter of The Wolfe Pack and holding your own Book Discussions locally.
*A raceme, as Mr. Wolfe could tell you, is an elongated cluster of flowers along the main stem in which the flowers at the base open first, as with orchids, snapdragons, etc.
(check back periodically for schedule revisions)
Books are listed in publication date order.
- since novellas were first published in magazines (except Murder Is Corny), their original publication date was earlier than their publication in book format
- a book that is a novella collection is listed prior to a novel published in the same year.
- for the exact dates of publication of the novellas, see http://www.nerowolfe.org/htm/corpus/corpus_alpha.htm
- Send an e-mail to the local raceme coordinator if you have questions:
Scroll through the column of your local raceme to review its book discussion schedule.
BE SURE TO CONFIRM THE DATE/VENUE shortly before the event date.
Book titles are listed in chronological (book publication date) order.
No. New England
So. New England
MACABRe (see sched. for locations)
Buffalo-Niagara Area (see sched for details of Classic Mystery evenings)
|Radio Interview "The Detective Story: Writer of Rex Stout Discusses the 'Art' of His Medium" Host: Clifton Fadiman; Guests Jacquest Barsun & Rex Stout||10/4/16 (5:30 PM) followed by the Clarence Libr. Classic Mystery Club discussion of The Maltese Falcon|
|The President Vanishes (the William Wellman movie, 1934)||1/5/17**|
|Fer-de-Lance||1934||11/11||5/14/13||4/27/13||9/15/15 & 11/9/15 & 1/11/16||2/1/16||8/27/14|
|League of Frightened Men, The||1935||1/12||6/25/13||6/22/13||1/11/16||3/21/16||10/15/14|
|Rubber Band, The||1936||3/12||7/30/13||8/24/13||5/16/16||1/28/15|
|Red Box, The||1937||5/12||9/9/13||10/26/13||9/19/16||2/25//15|
|Too Many Cooks||1938||7/12||10/7/13||11/16/13||12/2/16 (at Honors Bridge Club, 133 E. 58 Street)||4/22/15|
|Some Buried Caesar||1939||9/12||11/4/13||2/22/14||3/20/17
Paulaner Brewery & Restaurant, 265 Bowery (German Dinner in honor of Fritz' Swiss ancestry; click the link for the reservation form)
|Over My Dead Body||1940||11/12||12/9/13||4/26/14||4/11/2016**||5/15/17||8/26/15|
|Where There's a Will||1940||3/13||2/10/14||8/23/14||9/18/17
Tout Va Bien, 311 W. 51 St., NYC
Black Orchids: ("Black Orchids" / "Cordially Invited to Meet Death")
|Not Quite Dead Enough: (Booby Trap / Not Quite Dead Enough)||1944||5/19/13||4/7/14||11/15/14||3/19/18||
|Silent Speaker, The||1946||7/14/13||5/7/14||2/28/15||5/21/18||2/24/16|
|Too Many Women||1947||9/15/13||6/2/14||4/25/15||9/24/18||3/20/16|
|Trouble in Triplicate : (Before I Die / Help Wanted, Male / Instead of Evidence)||1949||5/18/14 **||8/25/14||6/27/15||7/14/2016*** (Help Wanted, Male)||
12/1/17: "Before I Die"
"Help Wanted, Male" & "Instead of Evidence"11/30/18
6/22/2016: Before I Die
7/27/16: Help Wanted, Male
8/24/2016: Instead of Evidence
|And Be A Villain||1948||11/10/13||7/31/14||8/22/15||4/27/16|
|Second Confession, The||1949||1/19/14||9/29/14||10/24/15||5/25/16
|In the Best Families
(NB: date change)
|Three Doors to Death: (Door to Death / Man Alive / Omit Flowers||1950||7/13/14 **||10/27/14||2/27/2016||2/8/2016**
10/26/15 "Man Alive"
|Curtains for Three : (Bullet for One / Disguise for Murder / Gun with Wings, The)||1951||9/21/14||12/15/14||4/23/2016|
|Murder by the Book||1951||11/9/14||3/23/15||6/25/2016|
|Triple Jeopardy : (Cop Killer, The / Home to Roost / Squirt and the Monkey, The)||1952||1/11/15 **||4/20/15||8/27/2016||6/13/2016*** (The Cop Killer))|
|Golden Spiders, The||1953||5/24/15 **
(Host: Katherine Hesse)
|Three Men Out
(Invitation to Murder / This Won't Kill You / Zero Clue, The)
(Host: Marion Maxwell)
|2/25/17 (Baltimore)||9/12/16 ("Invit. to Murder")|
|Black Mountain, The||1954||9/20/15
(Host: Colleen Meller)
(Host: Janet Levy & Bill Sconce)
|10/6/15||6/24/17 (Ellicott City)|
|Three Witnesses: (Die Like a Dog / Next Witness, The / When a Man Murders)||1956||3/13/2016 (Acton, MA at Miriam's)||11/3/15||10/28/17
|12/6/16 "The Next Witness" (5:30 PM)|
|Might As Well Be Dead||1956||1/17/2016 (Acton, MA at Alan & Ruth's)||12/8/15||11/18/2017
|Three for the Chair: (Immune to Murder / Too Many Detectives / Window for Death, A||1957||7/17/2016 Acton, MA at Marion's / firstname.lastname@example.org||2/2/2016
|If Death Ever Slept||1957||5/15/2016 [Acton, MA at Colleen's / email@example.com]||3/1/2016
|And Four to Go
A Christmas Party
Easter Parade / Fourth of July Picnic / Murder is No Joke
|1958||9/18/2016 [Acton, MA at Diane's / firstname.lastname@example.org||4/5/2016
(ONLY A Christmas Party")
7:00 PM CST
(ONLY Easter Parade")
|Champagne for One||1958||11/13/2016 / NH at Janet's & Bill's / email@example.com||5/3/2016
|Plot It Yourself||1959||7/11/2016
|11/1/16 (5:30 PM)|
|Rebecca Stout Bradbury presents "Memories of Rex Stout & Pola Stout"||6/7/2016
|Three at Wolfe's Door
Poison a la Carte
Method Three for Murder / Rodeo Murder, The
|Too Many Clients||1960||10/4/2016
|Final Deduction, The||1961||11/2016|
|Homicide Trinity Counterfeit for Murder / Death of a Demon / Eeny, Meeny, Murder, Mo
Death Times Three / Assault on a Brownstone (a reworking of Counterfeit for Murder)
|Mother Hunt, The||1963||3/7/2017|
|Right To Die, A||1964||5/1/2017|
|Trio for Blunt Instruments
Murder is Corny with showing of A&E Episode
Blood Will Tell / Kill Now, Pay Later /
|Doorbell Rang, The||1965||6/5/2017||5/19/14|
|Death of a Doxy||1966||7/10/2017||7/19/10*
(featuring "Imagination & Invention" from the A&E TV series production)
|Father Hunt, The||1968||9/11/2017||9/15/14|
|Death of a Dude||1969||10/2/2017||3/16/15|
|Please Pass the Guilt||1973||11/6/2017||9/15/15 & 11/9/15 & 1/11/16||5/18/15|
|Family Affair, A||1975||12/4/2017||2/6/2017||9/21/15|
* Wolfe Pack Facebook (Group Page) Book Discussion: Starting at 7PM Central Time on the fourth Wednesday of each month at https://www.facebook.com/groups/140970269281661/ (REQUEST MEMBERSHIP in advance; discussion lasts for two hours, but may be reviewed and commented upon later.)
** with screening of a movie or a video from A&E TV Series
*** with audio presentation from a radio or audio book presentation