First line, last line
Each of these quotations from the Corpus is either the first or last paragraph of one of the anniversary-year novels listed below. Match the quotations to the books.
- “The warrant for Wolfe’s arrest as a material witness is in a drawer of my desk where I keep souvenirs.”
- “Since it was the deciding factor, I might as well begin by describing it. It was a pink slip of paper three inches wide and seven inches long, and it told the First National City Bank to pay to the order of Nero Wolfe one hundred thousand and 00/100 dollars….”
- “The bell rang and I went to the front and there she was. I said good morning. ‘Pliz,’ she said, ‘I would like to see Misturr Nero Wolfe.’”
- “It was nothing out of the ordinary that [she] had made the appointment with her finger pressed to her lips. That is by no means an unusual gesture for people who find themselves in a situation where the best they can think of is to make arrangements to see Nero Wolfe.”
- “He snorted. ‘You’d better not. We wouldn’t last a week.’ He rang for beer.”
- “‘Archie.’ He nodded his head at me gravely. ‘Your head full of ideas? Even my death by violence is not too high a price for so rare and happy a phenomenon as that.’”
- “Will you bring brandy, Archie? And two glasses. If Fritz is up, bring him and three glasses. We’ll try to get some sleep.”
A. The League of Frightened Men (1935)
B. Over My Dead Body (1940)
C. Where There’s a Will (1940)
D. In the Best Families (1950)
E. Before Midnight (1955)
F. The Doorbell Rang (1965)
G. A Family Affair (1975)
- It typically took Rex Stout this number of days to write a Nero Wolfe novel.
- There were this number of Nero Wolfe novellas or short stories, not counting rewritten ones.
- In Death of a Doxy, the address of the Brownstone was Nine Hundred This Number West Thirty-Fifth Street.
- One of Archie’s favorite guns was a point this number caliber Marley.
- Saul Panzer lives in a remodeled fifth floor apartment on East This Number Street.
- Too Many Cooks was published in the year nineteen hundred this number.
Each clue below suggests the title of a Nero Wolfe novel, short story, or collection.
- Drapes for one, venetian blinds for two, and …
- An early misplay of the New York Mets led to …
- A vaccine can prevent diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis, but it won’t leave you …
- A foe of zombies might say that they are …
- Tonight’s New York Philharmonic program will not feature the …
- If your graphing calculator is broken, you will just have to …
- A salad sample below ground level.
- The Fifth Amendment doesn’t prohibit ….
- Zeck’s scandals can erupt even …
- You’ll be hearing from the EEOC if your classified ad begins …
- Is this life-giving fluid going to tattle again?
- Rowcliff would describe an assembly of Wolfe, Goodwin, and Panzer as
Corpus Cryptogram (by Mark Gorsetman)
MYS LBJOTS. MYS QTMSNXQMBIS. HVE YQIS PQCS BM JTSQN MYQM BM DVETC KS WEMBTS MV SAMQKTBAY MYQM MYS WKB OBTTSC MYQM PQX. ISNH DSTT, MYSX DS'TT SAMQKTBAY MYQM MYSH CBCX'M.